With both education and nonprofit pay in the news, ERI recently published a whitepaper analyzing why nonprofits in the education industry pay higher, on average, than other nonprofit industries. The results showed that athletic head coaches are one of the highest paid positions at education-based nonprofits. But just how much do the highest-paid athletic head coaches make? To answer that question, below is a list of the top 10 highest-paid athletic head coaches at nonprofits for the most-recent complete fiscal year (2016).
- Arthur Briles – Head Football Coach, Baylor University
- $17,838,742 in salary. $34,834 in additional “other” pay.
- Michael W Krzyzewski – Coach [Men’s Basketball], Duke University
- $5,723,849 in salary. $1,317,135 in additional “other” pay.
- Danny H Freeze – Coach [Football], Ole Miss Athletics Foundation
- $4,535,000 in salary. $46,800 in additional “other” pay.
- Gary A Patterson – Head Football Coach, Texas Christian University
- $4,762,599 in salary. $78,118 in additional “other” pay.
- Johnny Dawkins – Head Coach [Men’s Basketball], Stanford University
- $4,364,122 in salary. $55,470 in additional “other” pay.
- James P Dixon – Men’s Basketball Coach, Texas Christian University
- $4,124,857 in salary. $19,729 in additional “other” pay.
- Mark Richt – Head Coach – Football, University of Miami
- $4,036,993 in salary. $21,068 in additional “other” pay.
- John R Thompson III – Men’s Basketball Coach, Georgetown University
- $3,936,857 in salary. $33,970 in additional “other” pay.
- Kirby P Smart – Head Football Coach, University of Georgia
- $3,425,000 in salary. $45,335 in additional “other” pay.
- Jerold T Wright – Coach – Men’s Basketball, Villanova University
- $3,839,041 in salary. $39,727 in additional “other” pay.
It’s worth noting here that, although some top athletic program heads command a multimillion-dollar salary, the average pay for top athletic positions in 2016 was significantly lower, at $380,371 in salary. For a more in-depth analysis of nonprofit pay, see ERI’s recent whitepaper “How Much Do Education Nonprofits Pay?”
Looking for more information?
Detailed nonprofit executive compensation data, including source documents and historic data, can be found in ERI’s Nonprofit Comparables Assessor.
ERI’s Assessor Series® – Solutions for every compensation decision